The purpose of
The Best Part of Today
is to show that there is always something good about every day.
Check back every weekday
for your daily dose of positivity.


Friday, February 4, 2011

Wild for Oscar

The Best Part of Today #78:
Plethora of Oscars.

It's funny that certain names have recurring in my recent activities. For example, reading the short story contest submissions for the Long River Review; a significant number of them had characters named William. Today however, I was dominated by Oscars. I started reading The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde the other night and it has me absolutely enthralled as I progressed through more than half of it today. Afterwards, I watched Wilde, a movie about the flamboyant writer's life. Immediately following that, Alicia and I watched The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, with the Dorian Gray as one such League member (turned villain). Curiously, so much attention is lavished on Gray boyish face, golden-hair and fair complexion, i had almost forgotten that the League's Gray was rather more Gray, older and with long dark hair. A curious casting choice, but then, how often have films (especially mediocre, albeit enjoyable ones) ever shown a consideration for close details to their respective books?

In consideration of another Oscar, I read in the new york times today that there is a new Children's Museum opening in Maryland, featuring Elmo, Big Bird, the Cookie Monster, and of course, Oscar the Grouch. Additionally, there's been a big hullabaloo over which movies one should see at present because of how many academy awards nominations it has garnered. With the Oscars less than a month away, I'm eager to see all the lauded films I have thus far missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment