The purpose of
The Best Part of Today
is to show that there is always something good about every day.
Check back every weekday
for your daily dose of positivity.


Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Breaking News: Homework turns traitor to its race and provides student enjoyment!

THE BEST PAR...hello caps lock...

The Best Part of Today #71:
Reading contest submissions with Alicia.

Prior to this event, I did have another thing that was going to be the BPoT, but that's the trouble with coming up with one early in the day; the whole day has yet to occur. And, for the life of me, I can't remember what that thing was. Now, technically, reading the short story submissions to the Long River Review Magazine was my homework, and by nature shouldn't be so fun. But we had a LOT of fun. My roommate Alicia had already finished her homework and offered to read some of the remaining manuscripts. I handed her the stack so she could choose one, and after that she handed me a new manuscript each time I laid the last one down before I could even ask her for another. She ended up reading only one I didn't read, and only because she said it was gross amateur erotica, but otherwise I'd want to read what she had after she told me about it, so it worked pretty well.

The best part though, was laughing about how ridiculous some of them were. We came up with a sort pie-chart of what they were all about: 40% murder, 50% suicide, 7% cats, 1% people named William, and 2% everything else. Ironically, most (not all, but most) of the really good ones fell within the 2%. How can something associated with the best kind of milk fail?

No comments:

Post a Comment