The purpose of
The Best Part of Today
is to show that there is always something good about every day.
Check back every weekday
for your daily dose of positivity.


Tuesday, May 10, 2011

a vg epiphany

The Best Part of Today #136:
Family video game time.

Getting my whole family together at point in time is tricky, and the chances of being together long enough to do something together on any given weeknight are slimmer still. But tonight my sister and I somehow wrangled our mom and dad together to play Mario Kart Wii. Strangely, the original idea wasn't even ours. We'd suggested playing Mario Kart, but it was my mom's idea to play video games together in the first place.

My sister and I are among the odd population of girls who like video games (and don't look like we do). By this I mean we aren't tomboys who shun the ways of feminism, far from it, but rather we're girls who embrace many guy-oriented activities, I a little more than my sister but still. My dad has an appreciation for video games's design and ingenuity, and the problem solving skills required, to an extent. But, like most parents, shares the opinion that there are more worthy pleasure time pursuits. My mother has but the tiniest fraction of appreciation for video games; she normally just tolerates my sister and I playing them and starts to nag us to do other things if we play them for too long, especially if the sun is out. And yet, it was she who eagerly suggested we all play tonight. And we had a great time! I'd like to think that she saw the value in an a stimulating activity (unlike Scrabble, her slow, painful death game of choice) that could bring us all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment