The purpose of
The Best Part of Today
is to show that there is always something good about every day.
Check back every weekday
for your daily dose of positivity.


Monday, May 23, 2011

Look guys! Another blog!

BPoT #140:
Think ancient history is boring? Think again.

A while back I introduced y'all to my friend my Sara's vlog: http://www.youtube.com/user/SaradactylMichelle

Today I have a new one. There's no secret mist shrouding my love of mythology (it's like history but with magic and not boring!) but I understand that the original material is somewhat dense and dry. I don't just pick up the Odyssey for fun. But you will never get more fun out reading about myths from this blog, Myths Retold. (If you're not ok of obscene quantities of obscenities, I state in advance that I am not the creator, just the messenger.)

I gave the actual links instead of linking the blog titles because they both have pretty good url's. And fantastic content. Just sayin'.

The newest Myths Retold post is a review of sorts for Thor. Even though I knew it was going to a stellar cinematic achievement (I had read no reviews up til this point), I still hoped that Thor would have been at least enjoyable enough to see in a theatre. I hoped that despite the many liberties I knew they would take with the source myths (which already had been the victim of many liberties taken by the comic book that served as the film's source material), that the plot would still be good enough to slide you over those liberties in a way that you could at least enjoy the movie while you were there seeing and wait until you left the theatre and got in the car to start tearing it apart. Apparently I was mistaken in my hopes.

Halfway through reading this post I was thinking Thank god I didn't waste $10.50 to go see this. Later I was thinking Why would I need to even see it? I'm having more fun reading this guy sum it up while hacking it down than I would paying to see it. And then later I was laughing so much, I thought Now I really must see this movie so that I can laugh at how bad it is. There are films like that from time. Take from this what you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment