The purpose of
The Best Part of Today
is to show that there is always something good about every day.
Check back every weekday
for your daily dose of positivity.


Friday, May 6, 2011

Good old times

The Best Part of Today #134:
Coming home, and feeling like you never left.

After breakfast, the first thing I did on my first day back at home was take my dog on a walk. The familiarity was so pervasive that it was like the past three years had never happened, almost. I went to my favorite spot down a dirt road to a river where a tree had fallen from the far side and made a perfect perpendicular, arched bridge fairly high over the water. It's been my favorite place to dangle my legs for years, but unfortunately the years have made changes on my favorite places as well as me. My faithful bridge finally wore out and broke in half, or rathe into about 3/4 and 1/4. Of course the larger end was on the other side of the river, and in my efforts to push it back in place, I slipped into the water. I was wearing jeans and sneakers, but fortunately it was very warm today.

I tried to push using another piece of wood as leverage, but it was upriver and too heavy. I did succeed though in building another bridge by dragging a lighter piece of wood across the river and laying it on top of the heavy one. Unfortunately, anything light enough for me to drag didn't hold my weight. After doing this, I went and got the new installment in a book series I love by Rick Riordan, The Throne of Fire and read outside with a bottle of Orangina. And that's what I'm about to go do more of right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment