The purpose of
The Best Part of Today
is to show that there is always something good about every day.
Check back every weekday
for your daily dose of positivity.


Friday, April 8, 2011

Cancer never sleeps, so these people don't either.

The Best Part of Today #117:
Relay For Life.

This a great thing, you guys. You see, I'd heard the name in passing before and I vaguely knew it was a cause meant to raise awareness and stuff, but I never really understood it. I got a crash course in it tonight, underdressed as I was in moccasins and sweatshirts (hey, I didn't know where we were going or what we'd be doing). My friend Sara took me on the luminary circuit, a pathway lined with paper lanterns (some with tea lights, some with glowsticks) that circled a green dotted with tents and tables, as she explained the whole cause to me.

You may already know this, but I think it's pretty cool. All day and night, teams have at least one person walking the luminary circuit, while the others either walk, sleep in the tent, or other activities to stay awake. Along the way we righted some of the paper bags that had fallen over (fortunately only the ones with glowsticks had been by the chilly wind, the tealights would have caused more of a problem.) After two circuits, I dug enough change out of my purse to buy a relay bracelet, a simple cord with a green bead tied at the end. Each consecutive round, I got a new bead. I walked 12 beads' worth until my feet protested walking on the flat sidewalk in my flat moccasins.

I'm glad I was able to make my small contribution to a greater cancer relief effort that until tonight I really knew very little about. I'm looking forward to this summer when Sara said she'll take me to another Relay and it'll be warm, even at 1 am, and I'll be prepared in walking shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment