The purpose of
The Best Part of Today
is to show that there is always something good about every day.
Check back every weekday
for your daily dose of positivity.


Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Let the river flow forth


The Best Part of Today #95:
Having an experience exceed your expectations.

In my case, I was finally getting to interview someone for my next news story. He had been very hard to get a hold of, finally got back to me in email, telling me to call him the next day at a certain time and set up an appointment, he was in a meeting when i called, and he finally got back to me an hour and a half later. At this point I was feeling rather beleaguered and not very optimistic for the interview. I thought maybe I should make up more interview questions in case he turned out to be as tight-lipped as he seemed a didn't give me enough to work with.

When I got there, he was the total opposite. He was playing ambient bird sounds in his sunny, plant-strewn office. We chatted about our mutual penchant for sound machines (mine is a gurgling stream), organic food and good ol' fashioned paper books. What was my story about? The recyclability of a dining hall's new salt and pepper grinders. I barely had to say a word before he launched into more of a lengthy anecdote than an explanation of my query, spouting colorful quote and quote and funny details sure to give my story a kick. It was the easiest interview I'd ever done, except that I could barely manage to keep with him. I scribbled nonstop trying to capture everything just as he said it over several full sheet of (academic, not journalist-sized) notebook paper. Erasing was out of the question, mistakes were either scribbled or just let to stand. Listening was for the moment, deciphering will come later.

All in all I was exceedingly pleased, and my hand didn't even ached 45-or-so minutes later.

No comments:

Post a Comment