The purpose of
The Best Part of Today
is to show that there is always something good about every day.
Check back every weekday
for your daily dose of positivity.


Friday, March 18, 2011

Blister time! Yay! (sort of)

The Best Part of Today #105:
Personal signs of the changing seasons.

The other day it was really warm so I decided to get an iced coffee. As I sat on the grass sipping my mocha and reading before class, I realized, Hey, this is my first iced drink of the season. You see I never get iced drinks in the winter (usually never, only if I'm really craving one for the flavor, not for the temperature of it.) I also noticed that I was in fact sitting on grass (the extent to which being green is an integral part of the definition of grass is debatable), not snow, or even grass that would get my butt wet if I sat on it. Also, forget jackets, it was warm enough for me to go out without socks or an undershirt, things I often wear more than one layer of in the winter.
Ironically, another of my markers of the coming of warmer weather is the appearance of blisters on my feet. I only associate blisters with this time of year because it's warm enough to wear shoes without socks but not warm enough to wear sandals yet. This is a relatively new personal marker because the other reason I'm wearing closed toed shoes like moccasins and flats in warm weather is because I'm at school at this time of year and my sandals are all at home. Similar to this is a marker new to this year. Normally, I have a blackest, deadest least-green thumb out there. I like plants. I like plants in my room. Plants don't like either me or my room. And yet, this year, the little seeds I nurtured from a $1 kit of seed packet, golfball size pot and dehydrated soil pellet from Target have actually grown so much that I transplanted them into bigger pots last weekend. Incredible. I think this has something to do with the increased sunlight. My roommate and I also left the window open for an extended period of time for the first time in months.
Keep the markers comin', Mother Nature, I'm lovin it! (way more than McDonald's food)

No comments:

Post a Comment