The purpose of
The Best Part of Today
is to show that there is always something good about every day.
Check back every weekday
for your daily dose of positivity.


Thursday, June 23, 2011

the Waking Draught

BPoT #163:
Reading in bed.

Reading oneself's to sleep is somewhat of a cliche, and also more of an inaccurate one as it relates to me. The only book that puts me to sleep is one that I do not want to read, such a something for school. But despite its somnolent properties, I am unlikely to read something I really don't want to before bed unless it's absolutely necessary for academic reasons. Normally, I reserve that little bit of time before sleeping for a bit of pleasure reading, but this isn't very wise because if I am reading something rather good, it actually keeps me awake out of a desire to further myself in the story.

That is why waking up in the morning and reading starts the day off right for me. I don't particularly like waking up early, but I do rather like the early morning, as times of day go. It's so quiet and peaceful; but, that's a post for another time. My real point is, for me anyway, when waking up just early enough at which you don't want to get out of bed yet, but you can't fall asleep, reading is the perfect thing to do. Particularly if I'm reading an exciting book, it's a way to chase away the last vestiges of the night with the characters' adventures. I also finished the book I was reading currently this morning, which gave me an excuse to get out of bed other than the need to fill my stomach to replace all that had vanished, or empty my bowels of all that had accumulated there during the night. Rather a more tasteful way to wake up, I should think.

No comments:

Post a Comment