The purpose of
The Best Part of Today
is to show that there is always something good about every day.
Check back every weekday
for your daily dose of positivity.


Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Reminiscence Boulevard

BPoT #156:
Nostalgia.

Today I did two things of mention:

1. I saw Midnight In Paris
Spoiler Alert! Basically this movie is about a guy about to get married to this awful girl, but while they're visiting Paris, the guy gets swept up in a trans-era Peugeot off the streets and is brought to the social circle of Zelda and F. Scott Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Dali, Gertrude Stein, Picasso, and many other luminaries of the 20's. The main character of the film, Gill, is an aspiring novelist whose main character works in a nostalgia shop. While he's in his self-proclaimed golden age of 20's Paris, he meets Adriana, the sweetheart of both Picasso and Hemingway who falls for him, and is turn swept back to "La Belle Epoch" of Paris in the 1890's. In the end, she decides to stay in the past, while Gill has an epiphany and decides to return to his own time (and dumps his fiance, but he finds a nice french girl to stroll the boulevards with.)

2. I pulled out my old binder of Pokemon cards.
Date on the newest one: 2001. That was exactly a decade ago. A decade. I can't believe I've even been alive long enough to be able to remember doing things a decade ago.

The point is, I feel like most everyone has a little nostalgia. I especially do; I love old movies, old books, old architectures, typewriters and ballgowns, horses and good old chivalry. But you know what? I also love electricity, vaccines, hot and cold running water and video games. You can't pick and choose what's part of generation and what's not. You just have to take the bad with the good, and do the best you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment