The purpose of
The Best Part of Today
is to show that there is always something good about every day.
Check back every weekday
for your daily dose of positivity.


Monday, June 20, 2011

The power of the printed word!

BPoT #160:
I thought this day would never come (in a good way)

In a first-removed relation to my last post, I powered through a book today. Where the Mountain Meets the Moon was only 278 pages so not too long, but still it was a nice feeling to blaze through it. Technically I am still engaged in Looking for Alaska which so far I am enjoying, but kind of seeing a lot of similarities between it and Paper Towns, the only other John Green book I have read (and it was really good.) I am still perfectly it though, so the only real reason I stopped to read the Mountain book is because it is the first real book I have ever actually witnessed my sister both buy and read of her own will. By "real" I mean a full length novel and not a picture book or something of the same caliber (being an elementary school teacher she has a lot of experience with those). I was also intrigued because the last book I ever read by my sister's recommendation was The Great Gatsby and no offense to Mr. Fitzgerald but I didn't like that at all. Granted, it was a school book so it doesn't really count.

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon is a Newbury award winning novel based on old Japanese folktales that are beautifully weaved through a creative original story by Grace Lin, so it's no wonder that both my sister and I enjoyed it. It has always been a great sorrow to me, an ever-ardent lover of literature, that my sister always said she didn't like to read. Now I have hope that it's not reading she's against per se, but rather that she just hasn't been reading the right books. I will say that she at least likes Harry Potter and Memoirs of a Geisha (I've read the former and only just tasted the latter) so hopefully I can keep that list growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment