The purpose of
The Best Part of Today
is to show that there is always something good about every day.
Check back every weekday
for your daily dose of positivity.


Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Much done, much still to do

BPoT #179:
Finishing one and starting another.

Today I finished my kimono costume for Yukina from Yu Yu Hakusho. I put the finishing touches on her blue obi belt and the big bow in the back and then went on facebook to relax for a bit and relieve my back from all the bending over that pinning and sewing requires. That's when I saw that Otakon is less than a week away and I hadn't even started my second costume yet! I know it seems a little overambitious to make two costumes, but since my sister already had made a Princess Peach costume, I wanted to make a Mario-themed Princess dress to match, so I decided on Rosalina from Super Mario Galaxy.


That's when I made an executive to finish Yukina's red hair-bow after I had the majority of Rosalina's costume finished as well. I figured it made sense to make all the accessories together anyway, since I would have to make Rosalina's wand, crown and earrings as well. Not to mention I still have to find shoes for both costumes.

I didn't realize this at first, but Rosalina's costume seems to be a bit more complicated than Yukina's and I probably should have started with hers; Yukina's kimono was essentially a robe and a wide belt with bow in the back, but Rosalina's dress involves a semi-off-the-shoulder neckline and wide sleeves with trim, a sipper closure, and a little peak at the bottom revealing a curtain of silver fabric.
But my sister wanted us to do our kimonos together first since she's doing a matching pink one for the character of Botan from the same show and she's already off teaching band camp, leaving me to complete my costumes on my own. There's nothing I could do about it now anyway, so I cut out all pieces and sewed half of them together. Hopefully tomorrow will show the same (if not more) progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment