The purpose of
The Best Part of Today
is to show that there is always something good about every day.
Check back every weekday
for your daily dose of positivity.


Friday, August 20, 2010

I compose a masterpiece (well really just it's title, to begin with)

It's funny how people affect our lives in the smallest ways. For the past several years of my computing life, I have uses variations of the same username, chiohchan, for pretty much everything. But while logging into to my Toontown account (yes, you read that right, and no I'm not under the age of 12) I realized I have my sister's boyfriend to thank for breaking me out of that potentially unsafe habit. Him and his xbox, that is. During the school year, my sister and her boyfriend Greg both attend the same college and work at the same place, only about 10 minutes away from our house, but about an hour and a half from Greg. This summer, Greg came to stay at our house because of a summer class, and he brought his xbox with him. It was on this xbox that I honed my skills at Halo and Call of Duty. But on these games, you are not yourself: greg is gdrums, my sister sara: saraflute, and I...well I was myself, for lack of a better idea. I'm not a music major like my two fellow gamers, but rather an English major. So what then, would be my substitute title? What is my instrument? I didn't want to use chiohchan again, and that got me to thinking about all the technology in my life that required passwords, and then about technology in general. You see, being an english major, I loooove books. But the paper and ink kind, not the pixels and LED bulb kind. I have nothing against machines like the kindel or the iPad, I just resent the self-important technology freaks who say it will replace books. It was then that I smiled. I became ebooks7. Not electronic books, but eliza's books. And a 7 for luck. Luck that I'll need to protect my instrument from the digital age.

No comments:

Post a Comment