The purpose of
The Best Part of Today
is to show that there is always something good about every day.
Check back every weekday
for your daily dose of positivity.


Friday, December 18, 2009

Vive la Revolution!

Well, I've decided to start a blog. I've just now watched Julie and Julia and was inspired to do so because something Julie Powell said got me thinking, simplistic as it may be; "I could write a blog. I have thoughts." And it is true; I have a folder in Microsoft word labeled "Thoughts." Just expressions of whenever I feel particularly wordy and feel like writing it down. Of course, being a book lover, I prefer paper, but it takes me so long to write things by hand that I have forget everything I was going to write about in the first place. My diary is proof of that. But her I am, embracing new technology. Though I had to remind myself to be patient as I waited for my computer to turn on, then for the internet to open without it lapsing into "Not Responding" Mode more than 5 times, all the while thinking I could simply get a pencil and open my diary and really wishing wishing I had a real typewriter, like the real Julia Child. I'll have to look into that.
It also really resonated with me that the Julie Powell could never finish any literary projects. My diary is yet another proof of that, as I have tried many times to diligently write in it every day which worked out for a couple months but then would slowly slip back into oblivion. I can't promise that I'm going to write every day, because I know I probably won't, so all I can say is that I'll try. I'm not exactly sure what this blog is for yet, but I am sure that I should have some kind of goal, which is how Julie got herself to do it. With a definite goal, a deadline will follow, but for what I have, as of yet, no idea. I do love cooking, but being a college student who is without a well-stocked kitchen for the majority of the year, I'll have to find some other kind of goal.
As I was forced to vacate the living room when my dad turnd the TV to weather after the movie, I recalled Virginia Woolf's "A Room of One's Own," which I recently read selections of for my British Literature class (thank you, Professor Rumbo). If you have not read it, it basically sates that a woman must have 1) money and 2) a room of one's own in order to produce literary works. Ironically, I went from the living room to my parents room, which was quite silly being that my dad soon did the same thing, and I then excaped to my own room. This may seem silly to you, "why wouldn't I go there in the first place?" you might ask, but the truth is that during the day I spend very little time in my own room; I just spent all night there and I suppose I'd just like to journey to a different part of the house or something. Interestingly, now that I think about it, the only time I have ever secluded myself to my room to do an activity other than sleeping is, in fact, to write. So I guess Virginia was right, which is why I decided to make my display name, "2Judith" as a tribute to her creation, Shakespeare's unknown but equally talented sister, who could write because she was a woman. Now, in the 21st century, when an ordinary 19 year old girl can publish some of her ramblings with some gentle pressure on an assortment of keys and buttons and an internet connection just because she feels like it, I'd like to send my thoughts out to anyone who was or is a Judith.
I wanted to end this blog in a somewhat poignant way by saying "I'm writing this for her," which is true for me in a thoughtful way, but let's be fair. I keep in mind from the Julie and Julia movie their description of a blog: it's for you. It's actually a pretty narcisisstic entity because I doubt anyone will read my as of yet purposeless blog, but hey, why not. The technology's there, I might as well use it (something I still have to keep in mind as I try to reconcile myself, the paper lover, with a Kindle.)

No comments:

Post a Comment