The purpose of
The Best Part of Today
is to show that there is always something good about every day.
Check back every weekday
for your daily dose of positivity.


Wednesday, September 1, 2010

September: Day 1. School: Day 3.

I'm very excited about this year. The past two yeas have nice in their own different ways, but never before have I liked so many aspects of the school year to come. I love my roommate who was assigned randomly to me. We already get along so well, my only fear is the as-of-yet unknown degree to which I will lose the enjoyment of her company once she gets in a sorority and makes more friends than just me and our mutual new friend from down the hall. I also love all of my classes, which are finally all English classes (except Literary Journalism, but it is in the same spirit as all of my other classes). However it is only the first week, and the combined reading load is already somewhat daunting. And though I have been promoted and given a raise at my job which I already love, I start working next, and am unsure whether I can successfully juggle them all. I am plagued by doubts that next week, and the weeks to come, will not be as truly wonderful as this first one has been. Curiously, I have been getting a lot of things that I was secretly wishing for in my mind, all in such a short span of one another as to inspire a pattern. First, I was wishing that I would make some new friends in my Chaucer class, which seemed full of terrifically fascinating people from the customary first day introductions I was hearing. Particularly, I made a vow that after class I would speak to the boy who sad he had gone to the same anime convention as I had over the summer, and then I thought "Wouldn't it be cool if he were as interested in me as I was in him?" Sure enough, he came right over to me and asked if I wanted to switch emails. Some 15 minutes after this class I had another class on the same floor of the building I was in, and thought "Wouldn't it be great if her were in my Celtic and Norse Myth and Legend class too?" When we decided to swap schedules in the intervening 15 minutes we shared before our next respective classes, I was thrilled to see that we shared the class as well! I was really quite astounded with my luck as we sat down together next the door of our next class and struck up a conversation with the girl across from us right away, who had asked us if we were indeed waiting for the celtic class, when another friend of mine came and sat down right now me, joyously proclaiming she joining our quickly growing group. And that wasn't the last of my serendipitous experiences that day. I can only hope that going home the 1st weekend of school for the annual Mark Twain Library book fair, a tradition I would be very disappointed to miss, will not damage what has become a more-than-pleasant routine for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment